Best Homeschool Curriculum
› 4th Grade
4th Grade Curriculum and
Homeschool Learning Objectives
If you are looking for a 4th grade curriculum, here are some
homeschool learning objectives and suggestions for some fourth grade
What are Fourth Graders Expected to Learn?
grade can be challenging for reasons other than expanding curriculum,
so you will need some guidelines on what your children should be
learning. Fourth grade is a big step from 3rd grade and children will
notice the increase in expectations of any program from 3rd to 4th
grades. It is important for them to be ready for it and for parents to
be prepared for the increased challenge as well.
first step is to determine what you are required to teach at this level
by your state. Some states have a lot more guidelines than others, but
you have to at least meet their minimum standards.
The next step is to
develop a plan that suits your child and your home. You can make use of
the following objectives designed for all fourth graders regardless of
state requirements, but you may want to add your own spin on things.
Teach your children what you want them to learn and allow them to
progress at their own pace. That is just one of the benefits of
Reading/Language Arts Objectives:
- Continue to expand vocabulary through the use of spelling lists
- Look for root words and context in stories to determine meaning for new words
- Learn prefixes and suffixes to further figure out words
- Introduce more literary genres (fairy tales, adventure, fables etc.)
- Spend more time reading books of interest, fiction and nonfiction
- Write larger personal texts and create reports of a page or longer
- Begin to relate to characters in stories and compare them to their own opinions and worlds
- Write pieces that flow in logical or chronological order
- Develop research skills to create factual reports, including online research
Mathematics Objectives for Fourth Graders:
- Work with numbers in the millions
- Fully understand multiplication
- Gain a solid grasp on division
- Deepen problem solving skills with more complex story problems
- Work more with fractions and decimals
- Use charts and graphs to apply data to mathematical problems
- Learn how to arrange data into simple charts on their own
- Understand prime numbers
- Understand problem solving with factors
- Understand basic geometry concepts (perimeter, area, angles, etc.)
- Learn basic principles of conversion (ounces in pound, inches in foot, etc.)
Learning Objectives for Science:
- Understand how to create hypotheses and make predictions
- Learn how to test hypotheses to prove or disprove
- Gain more in-depth knowledge about the world, animals, organisms, natural resources, etc.
Social Studies Objectives for Fourth Graders:
- Learn about the history of the child’s home state, including early Indian life and other concepts.
Basic Tips for Teaching Fourth Graders:
year brings great development in the areas of personal responsibility
and social interaction. Children should be given opportunities to work
with peers on group projects, and they should start to handle more of
the organizational elements of their schoolwork.
is the perfect grade to introduce larger projects for children. For
example, many children are allowed to make dioramas to represent
different animal environments in the wild or the lives of a particular
Indian tribe. Think long term and extended projects when creating
activities at this grade level. Give help as needed, but children should
be encouraged to think creatively and do the majority of the work on
- Fourth graders should be
working on the computer to do research and play educational games.
Computers are a natural part of the modern world, and children need to
learn to use them safely. Computer-based 4th grade curriculum options
tend to be a good fit at this age. If you do not have a computer at
home, go to the public library as frequently as possible.
Top-Rated Complete Programs for Fourth Grade:
||Alpha Omega Switched on Schoolhouse --The interactive quizzes, games, videos and reviews in this program make it a big hit with 4th grade students.
||Alpha Omega Life Pacs --This program is a favorite for students who love mastering a topic before moving to the next.
||Sonlight -- The Sonlight programs are a favorite for its ability to make historical novels come to life.
4th Grade Science Favorite:
||Apologia Science -- This elementary science program is a big hit with most elementary students especially 4th graders.
4th Grade Homeschool Math Favorites:
||Horizons Math -- If your fourth grader likes colorful worksheets and a little challenge, the spiral learning method of this option may be a good fit.
||Saxon Math -- The mastery learning method of this program makes it a good fit for students who want to master a skill before moving on to a new concept.
||MathUSee -- 4th graders really enjoy the visual aspects of learning option.
Do you have a favorite fourth grade homeschool curriculum? Share it here.
Best Homeschool Curriculum
› 4th Grade Curriculum