Abeka Home Schooling Academy
The Abeka Home Schooling Academy takes the popular Abeka homeschool curriculum and offers a homeschool DVD curriculum, homeschooling online or a traditional textbook approach through Pensacola Christian College.
Abeka Academy Details:
Parents supervise and are actively involved in your child’s learning at home using the manual provided. Everything need is provided and planned out for you including: textbooks, workbooks, tests, keys and even videos. Accredited teaches provide daily instruction on video or streaming over the internet.
The course are planned for a 170-day school year. You can supplement with other activities and field trips if your state requires more days of attendance in a year. Both the homeschool DVD curriculum and online homeschool options are planned for school-aged children with little supervision or additional parental instruction needed.
Expect a kindergartner to spend approximately 3 hours watching the video per day. Elementary children will spend about 3 hours a day viewing the video and then have additional independent work time. Homeschool high school course time is a traditional 50 minute class period with daily homework assignments for each course.
Advantages of the Abeka Academy:
- The DVD curriculum and online options make it easier for a busy parent to homeschool.
- The quality of education is consistent with Abeka’s good reputation.
- The videos help children who are auditory learners and struggle with independent textbook work alone.
- It is an affordable Christian education when compared to the cost of most Christian school tuition costs.
Possible Disadvantages of the Abeka Academy:
- The cost is much more expensive than other CD Rom or video-based curriculum options like Switched on Schoolhouse or Bob Jones.
- Some children were very bored with the DVD homeschool method. Unlike the interactive style of some of the other online or CD-Rom homeschool programs, the Abeka Academy requires children to sit and watch the videos for hours and then complete the required assignments.
- Some parents do not appreciate being on the Academy’s schedule in order for the children to receive grades and credit for their work.
Have You Used This Curriculum?
Help other homeschool parents! Submit a review now!
Return from Abeka Home Schooling Academy to
the Homeschool Curriculum Reviews Page