Best Homeschool Curriculum
› 5th Grade
Fifth Grade Curriculum and
5th Grade Homeschool Objectives
If you are looking for fifth grade curriculum options for homeschool
students, we have our favorites listed here. We also have a list of
learning objectives that any 5th grade student whether homeschooled or
in a traditional school setting should know.
you have all the information about your child's learning objectives, it
is much easier to make sure that the curriculum that you purchase or
design yourself will keep your child on track for what they should be
learning at their current grade level. While we know that many
homeschool parents are not concerned about grade levels, we still think
it is important to make sure that children are not falling behind their
What are Fifth Graders Expected to Learn?
are a lot of differences between the education you provide for your
children at home and the education they would receive in a public
school. One thing that remains the same either way is the basic fifth
grade curriculum that all children are required by your state to learn.
You will undoubtedly teach these basic learning objectives in your own
special way, and you may even enhance your child’s education by adding
your own objectives.
Some states are more regulated than others when
it comes to spelling out what children are expected to learn in
different grades. You need to look up the guidelines for your state, but
this overview will give you a general idea of what fifth graders should
be learning regardless of location or fifth grade homeschool curriculum
that you choose.
Reading/Language Arts Objectives:
- Identify plot, setting, characters, and other elements of literature
- Discuss the purpose of different texts and relate stories back to their own life
- Understand how text is organized
- Identify all parts of books (table of contents, chapters, glossaries, etc.)
- Begin editing, revising, and rewriting their own texts and stories
- Employ creative thought to write short stories, poems, and creative nonfiction pieces
- Enjoy reading as a source of pleasure, rather than an objective of learning
- Use reading and research skills for projects that take days and weeks to create
- Learn rules of grammar so writing is more polished
- Incorporate personal opinion and all of the senses for more evocative writing
Fifth Grade Curriculum Mathematics Objectives:
- Division of larger whole numbers even with remainders
- Understand percentages
- Correlate and convert percentages, whole numbers, fractions, and decimals
- Multiply and divide fractions and decimals
- Introduce basic concepts of algebra
- Introduce concepts of statistics
- Skillfully use rulers and other tools of measurement
Fifth Grade Curriculum Science Objectives:
- Begin performing experiments including collection of data, forming hypotheses, and testing
- Work with microscopes and other basic science equipment
- Understand more complicated aspects of the solar system, organic life, weather, and other topics
Social Studies Objectives:
- Start learning early American history
- Learn about colonial times and Native American history topics
- Compare and contrast different cultures and different periods of time
Basic Tips for Homeschooling Fifth Grade:
work is essential in fifth grade. At this age children should be
working through lesson plans, reading, researching, and creating long
term projects largely on their own. Parental guidance should be more
vocal than hands-on.
- Pay attention to
things that catch your child’s attention, as many children will start to
take strong interest in particular subjects and concepts at this age.
This is a great time to go for field trips that your children will enjoy
while enhancing their understanding of the above listed objectives.
Different children may end up doing different projects at this level,
and that is the beauty of homeschooling.
graders are ready to start learning about the world and their place in
the world. Relate lessons back to their own lives and your community
more than you did at earlier grade levels. Allow them to express
themselves more and explore the world around them.
is important to recognize that many children will be hitting puberty
around the fifth grade, so they will be going through many changes and
their attitudes may adjust throughout the year. This can be a trying
time for growing children, so be understanding yet stable.
Complete Curriculum Favorites for 5th grade:
||Alpha Omega Life Pacs --This worktext based curriculum is a favorite for its all-in-one curriculum for fans of a traditional school-at-home homeschoolers.
||Alpha Omega Switched on Schoolhouse --This is a big favorite for 5th graders and their parents because of the interactive lessons and automatic grading.
||Sonlight Curriculum -- The Sonlight programs are a favorite for its ability to make history and reading come to life.
Math Curriculum Favorites for 5th grade:
||Saxon Math -- The mastery learning method of this curriculum makes it a favorite of both homeschoolers and traditional classroom teachers as well.
||Horizons Math -- The spiral learning method makes this a good fit for homeschool kids in 5th grade who are bright and want a challenge.
||MathUSee -- Fifth graders love to "see" the math problems come to life with this math curriculum.
Do you have a favorite 5th grade homeschool curriculum?
Share it here.
Best Homeschool Curriculum
› 5th Grade