Home › Best Homeschool Curriculum › 2nd Grade
Second Grade Curriculum &
2nd Grade Homeschool Objectives
Deciding on a second grade curriculum? Learn the basic learning objectives for 2nd grade to help choose the right homeschool lessons for your family.
There is no school on earth as unique as your home school! Part of the glory of teaching your children at home is being able to determine what they learn and what they are not exposed to. The only exception to this are the basic objectives that all second graders are expected to learn. These objectives are very general, so you always have freedom to determine how they are taught and how fast your child moves through them.
It is important to look up the recommendations and rules for your state. Some states have very strict rules for homeschooling families, while others leave most decisions up to the parent. You have to first know what your state requires so you can then make changes and adjustments to fit your home school. Following is a quick run down of what most second graders will learn, regardless of state.
Second Grade Curriculum Objectives for Reading/Writing/Language Arts:
- Start reading independently (if not accomplished in first grade)
- Begin to read with more fluency (recognizing words without spelling out)
- Work with spelling lists for enhanced reading and writing skills
- Start to comprehend stories and simple nonfiction while reading independently
- Improve handwriting for neatness and spacing
- Enforce the use of simple punctuation (periods, commas, exclamation points, etc.)
- Write more detailed sentences and paragraphs
- Begin to write brief stories or personal narratives
2nd Grade Curriculum Objectives for Mathematics:
- Count beyond 100, up into the thousands
- Expand knowledge of money to counting, making change, and using in real life
- Understand addition and subtraction of two and three digit numbers
- Introduce multiplication and division
- Start to use rulers and other measurement devices
- Understand probability and estimating
- Start to work through more story problems
- Values of numbers (greater than, smaller than, equal to)
Science Objectives for a Second Grade Curriculum:
- Understand how to make predictions and test those predictions
- Explore the natural resources and elements in the natural world
- Understand how natural resources are used by people in the modern world
- Begin to understand life cycles and the food chain
Social Studies Objectives:
- Gain a deeper understanding of history versus present times
- Gain a deeper understanding of the community around them and their family
- Start to explore the concept of different people around the world having different cultures
Basic Tips for Teaching Second Graders:
- By the end of second grade, most children will be very fluent readers. They will be reading chapter books and comprehending the stories that they read.
- It is important to start introducing nonfiction texts in second grade, even though they can be more challenging for beginning readers to comprehend.
- Children who learned to read independently in first grade may be ready to start learning concepts of first, second and third point of view in stories. This can be explored through reading and writing their own stories in different point of views.
- While most children are introduced to multiplication and division in second grade, most will not fully understand it until third or even fourth grade. It should be introduced simply as exposure so they have an easier time at later grades. Use grouping of counting objects like dry noodles to work through story problems that will introduce the basic idea of these more advanced math concepts.
- Second graders still need a lot of interaction and guidance through their lessons, but should be able to do some tasks independently. Start allowing them to do some assignments alone, and then come together to discuss their work.
Complete Curriculum Favorites for 2nd Grade:
Alpha Omega Life Pacs -- This mastery learning program is great for kids who love to master a topic before moving on to the next.
Sonlight Curriculum -- Make it come to life in 2nd grade by trying Sonlight's program that integrates history, reading and language arts into one great program.
Phonics and Reading Curriculum Favorite:
Horizons Phonics and Reading -- This curriculum combines great classic stories and poems with fun new stories to help kids learn to love to read and read well!
Second Grade Curriculum Favorites for Science:
Apologia Science -- Great for all ages of elementary students, these books are great for really engaging kids and teaching them to love science!
LifePac Science -- Full of lots of hands-on projects and experiments, this is a great science curriculum to engage your 2nd grader.
Top 2nd Grade Homeschool Math Curriculum Choices:
Horizons Math -- Does your child like colorful worksheets and a little challenge? This curriculum and its spiral learning method is excellent for gifted students or ones who rise to a challenge.
LifePac Math -- LifePac utilizes the mastery learning method. This curriculum is best for those children who do best when they master a skill before moving on to a new concept.
MathUSee -- A parent favorite, this program uses a lot of manipulatives to help kids understand and "see" how math works.
What second grade curriculum works best in your homeschool? Share it here.
Return from Second Grade Curriculum to
the Homeschool Curriculum Home Page